Before you hire a wedding DJ, here are some questions you should be asking:
- How long have you been a wedding DJ?
- How many weddings have you DJ’d? This does not necessarily mean that this particular DJ is not fantastic, it might however mean that there is more of a chance for a hiccup.
- How many weddings a weekend do you DJ at? This one is important. You definitely do not want to sign with a DJ that is committed to more than just your wedding on your big day.
- Will you be the DJ at our wedding, or could we possibly end up with someone we are not familiar with? If you choose your DJ based on their personality, you want to make sure that personality shows up on your wedding day. If there is a possibility that another DJ will be working your event, you might want to consider meeting with them as well.
- Have you even DJ’d an event at WIld Basin Lodge? It is important that your DJ be familiar with your event center. If they are not, will they be willing to take the extra time to get to know the space before your wedding day? At Wild Basin, we allow our couples to change ceremony sites at any time, is your DJ flexible?
- Do you have a video from a recent wedding we can view?
- Do you have references from some recent weddings that we can contact?
- What’s your style and can you help me choose music? A DJ that knows your style and what type of atmosphere you wish to create with your music, can help you choose a song when you are stuck and looking for “that perfect song”.
- If you are unable to make it, what is your backup plan?
- Do you take and play requests from guests? Can we give you a “Do Not Play” list and will you adhere to it? If you will want your guests to be able to request songs; it’s fun and a great way for your guests to feel even more comfortable. There are DJ’s who will not accept requests. However, if you decide not to grant guests song requests, as the DJ how they will handle song requests from guests. Will they just say they do not have that particular song?
Price and Value:
- What is your rate, and does this include travel, setup, moving between ceremony and reception and breaking down?
- What do you charge for Overtime and what exactly constitutes Overtime?
- How much is your deposit and what is your payment plan?
- Do you carry liability insurance?
- Will we meet again before my wedding? The answer to this question will be based on your comfort level. Usually, you should not need to meet, face to face, with your DJ again.
- Does your equipment require any special electrical outlets? What type of space/stage do you require?
- Do you advertise by setting up a banner or sign at our wedding? Another personal preference question.
- What are your timeline/timeframe needs for setup etc.?
- What will you be wearing at our wedding?
- Do you have any dietary restrictions? With this in mind, any vendor that is present at your wedding through dinner, should be fed. As a result, you need to respect their dietary needs.
- Do you have a policy on drinking and or smoking while working our wedding?
Granted, finding the perfect DJ can be a little tricky, However, these questions will help you weed through them. It isn’t really just about asking for pricing. Nevertheless, there are a lot of great DJ’s and prices vary. Some will give you all day, some only a few hours. Others will give you a discount based on your venue. Don’t be afraid to ask. With years of wedding planning experience behind us, trust us when we say not all DJ’s are created equal. If you need some more guidance, just give us a call or email us.
Wild Basin Lodge DJ’s:
Make sure you take a peak at the Wild Basin Lodge Photo Gallery
Photo Sources: Wedding Connection of Hudson Valley, Surround Sound DJ and Tucson DJ Service